Sunday, November 18, 2007

The New Blog

As you've gathered by now, I created a new blog. The name might be corny or stupid, but I wanted to get away from CreativeWriter09.

I just returned from my Upward Bound Rally in Farmington. It was great, and I really enjoyed it. Seeing my Bowdoin friends again was awesome, and there was a lot of talking and hugging. It really helped me decide that I want to go back to Bowdoin next summer, not UMPI. I feel bad for the Next Generation, however. The Bowdoin and UMPI programs got together and decided to send all future students from Fort Kent, Madawaska, and Van Buren to UMPI. Even people in my grade who start next year won't be eligable for the Bowdoin program. Only those who attended this summer, as we have been "grandfathered" in. That sucks, as FK has a lot of cool people in my grade that I would have loved to spend the summer with at Bowdoin. Sadly, that is not in the cards.

I'm wicked tired. We left CHS @ 3:30 pm on Thursday, stayed overnight at the Budget Traveler in PI, and departed from UMPI at 6 am on Friday. We drove straight to Augusta (well, except when we picked up kids in several Aroostook towns). We arrived at the Maine State House at around noon, and waited. The six of us from Aroostook County that attended Bowdoin last summer (6 out of 34 kids on the Aroostook bus) waited by the door for the Bowdoin kids. They came in, and it was a good reunion. Soon afterward we all filed to the House of Representatives. We all sat in a Representative's seat, and were greated by Gov. John Baldacci and Speaker Glen Cummings. The Speaker allowed us to vote on a fictional measure that would lower the voting age to 16. He opened to up to debate, and several students stood and voiced their opinions. With a vote of something like 74-63, it didn't pass as it failed to earn a 2/3 vote. That, along with the awesome reclining chairs that we got to sit in, made the HOUSE the funnest part of the experience.

We broke in to groups, and I got to observe a meeting of the Appropriations Committee. It was okay, but I was anxious to leave. My group then went to the State Senate where we got to sit in awesome chairs again. We learned how a bill becomes a law, which was boring. We then went back to the House where we listened to yet another speaker. Then we were off to University of Maine Farmington for dinner. It was good, and was about equal to the food we had eaten at UMPI the night before. We went back to the Motel, where I found out I had been placed with UMPI kids and not Bowdoin kids, as they want to integrate us. I didn't really like my roommates, but they could have been worse. Something about hearing anti-Semitic jokes all night and being asked, before my name even, whether or not I was gay sort of alarmed me.

We then headed back to Farmington for some activities. They attempted to have us get to know the other groups, but we found ways to cheat and stay with our friends. The dance began, and I left the room. With some friends I hadn't seen in 3 months, I sat in the lounge and talked. We had a great time, and were sad when the buses arrived. I returned to the room, and well before my other 4 roommates fell asleep. The next morning we all woke up, showered, and headed to McDonald's. Once again, UMPI students were kept from Bowdoin students. We were rushed out as they entered, and driven next door to UMF. We then participated in a day's worth of activities. I was able to spend a lot of time with Bowdoin students, which was great. Then after our workshops, I attempted to sit and talk with two of my best friends. But, all "UMPI" students were asked to go to the other side of the room. I left, and almost hit the roof when they said we couldn't be in the big Bowdoin picture. One lady let us, and whoever she is, THANK YOU. We hugged goodbye, and I then had to be in the UMPI picture, too. We boarded the bus, and after a brief stop at the Bangor Wendy's, ended up back at Fort Kent around 7 o'clock.

It was a great reunion. I realized how much I missed my Bowdoin friends, and I can't wait to spend 6 weeks with them again next summer. While I'm sure the Presque Isle program has a lot of great people, I couldn't help but notice a lack of maturity from many. I became friends with gay and Jewish people over the summer at Bowdoin, and to hear in one night insults towards both groups, I was shocked. That happened in one night with PI, but not in six weeks with Bowdoin. I seriously believe that UMPI students overall lack maturity. I did meet a few that were very intelligent and polite. But I emphasize the word FEW. I won't mind going on college trips and things with UMPI during the academic year, but come summer, Bowdoin will be my home. They've allowed us this, and I'm thankful. But overall, I believe the way we were treated as former Bowdoin UBers who traveled with UMPI UBers was horrible. The people who planned the event were the worst. They tried to segregate us, looking unhappy every time we tried to reunite with our friends, but happy when we looked miserable, surrounded by their students. I felt kidnapped and forced into situations I hated. If only the adults weren't so polite and friendly, I would have shared my opinions in a less-than-friendly manner.

But anyway, that was our trip. I have resolved to help the environment. One of my workshops talked about how we can help. The lady suggested opening an RRR center at our school, and I think that would be good. The essence of an RRR center is to bring in things, such as paper, milk jugs, carboard, etc., that others can use for crafts. Some have markers, crayons, glue, tape, etc., and the students go and get or buy the items there. It would cut down on buying the items, and would also be a great way to get rid of some things you would otherwise throw away. It is, overall, a good idea. Farmington has a GREAT program to recycle, and even has a GREEN building. The rug is made from recycled yarn, the lights and heat are turned on automatically when needed, and it has many other great resources. Farmington really seems to be leading the way with such technology. I really respect UMF for that, and applaud their efforts.

Well, that concludes this blog. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

John said...

Adults love to see kids miserable. We figure if you're happy you're not learning anything. And you might think those people from Bowdoin are your friends now, but how could they possibly mean as much to you in the long run as a group of racist strangers with whom you've been arbitrarily grouped according to your geographical origins? That's how memories are really made. COME ON, Spencer. Get with the programme.

John said...

YOU NEED PICTURES. More people like to read a purty blog, and I assume from your last blog that you know how to insert images into the text.

Just a suggestion, of course, but the blog-o-sphere is a cornucopia of rushed, topical blandness, and images can put a blog head and shoulders above the rest.