Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Stresses We Create for Ourselves

For the past few months, I've been thinking only of college-related things.

Will I get into my number one? Will my SAT/ACT scores be high enough to even impress my top college choices?

Truth be told, it's all sickening. It brings with it panick and fear, and it's not something I should be this worried about. I should definately be academically preparing myself for college, which I believe I have during my high school career. I'm not taking SATs until April or May, and ACTs are in June. So, if I'm going to worry, I should at least wait awhile.

I of course still want desperately to attend Colby College, but I've also recently expanded my list of top choices. Thanks to College Board, I've received nearly two dozen letters from colleges nationwide - all offering amazing curriculum and extracurricular opportunities. As such, three of my Top 5 colleges were only recently introduced to me. Before that, I had no idea these schools even existed. Now, they seem very appealing,

My top 5 colleges are:

  1. Colby College
    Waterville, Maine
    Private, liberal arts

  2. Saint Joseph's College
    Standish, Maine
    Private, liberal arts

  3. Thomas College
    Waterville, Maine
    Private, independent

  4. Western New England College
    Springfield, Massachusetts
    Private, independent

  5. Daniel Webster College
    Nashua, New Hampshire
    Independent

With any luck, I can get into a few of these. But I've decided to sort of relax about it. After all, I've got until November before the Early Decision applications are due at Colby. As you can probably tell, I want to go to a liberal arts school or some other type of private college. I also just noticed they're all "colleges", not universities. That's coincidental.

1 comment:

John said...

I hear going to a "good" school has more of an influence on what kind of job you get after graduating in the states than it does in Canada, but IMO your undergraduate experience depends heavily on the profs you have and the books you read. A lot of schools offer thematically or chronologically based liberal arts programmes that integrate philosophy, literature, history, and one or two other credits (giving you room for 1 elective) in a kind of "history of ideas" type setup. This is by far the best way to get a start in liberal arts. Just keep an eye out for that sort of thing.